Saturday, January 13, 2018

From the Office

 October 7, 2017

Wow! Finally I get the chance to write to you all. Here is what's going on:

1. Well like I said in my last email I am in the office as one of the four secretaries to president. My main job is to get all of the packages that the missionaries receive, to them in their zones. Also to make sure that they get everything that they need to have to proselyte (Books of Mormon, Pamphlets, contact cards, etc.). Obviously I have a ton of more responsibilities but it is too much to tell. 

2. We received a good amount of missionaries come in this last transfer and this week they had a one week training. And in the one week training the operations secretary has to give a training to the newbies. And so because I am the new secretary here my trainer decided to have me do the entire thing myself. It went by pretty well. 

3. One of the great things about being a secretary is that you can go on the computer to study on LDS.org. So I took the chance to watch the Funeral of Elder Robert D. Hales. Really one of the things that I took from this funeral that I would like to share is that some people when they look at the prophets and Apostles they think that they are extraordinary men who really didn't have a life. Really they are normal people who have normal weaknesses like us. Especially Elder Hales. Elder Hales, during his callings had major problems with his body but he continuously focused on doing the Lord's will. Like it was said in the funeral session, Elder Hales used all of his strength to write a talk that he so dearly wanted to share in this last general conference. But during the process, it sucked out all of his strength he had left. It really makes me think about that if we truly love the Lord we would put all of our effort into doing his will. Just like he always said, Elder Hales '' returned with honor.''

Well these past couple of weeks have gone by pretty well. I just think that I am glad that I can just keep working whether I am in the office or out in the Field. I think I prefer the field more because sometimes the office gets a little boring. But I really think that the highlight for these past few weeks have been the general conference. I had the wonderful blessing of listening to it in the language of the restoration again (English!!!!!!!).  Like our mission President told us to do, I went watching the conference with a question in mind. It just continues to prove to me that these men are inspired by God because every single time that I have gone to conference with a question it has been answered. God continues to talk to us through his Prophets. And he knows each and every one of us personally. He never wants to leave us in the darkness and this is why he gave us the prophets so that he can continue to guide us in this life. And I am so grateful for the opportunity to listen to them at least twice a year. 

miss you all tons,
Elder Garbett