Monday, January 2, 2017

First Week of 2017

January 2, 2017

Hey Ya'll. This last week went really good. Here are the highlights:

1. For New years we had something called mariscos(?) which is a seafood dish with an actual crab and parts of squid in some rice. Super delicious and weird.
2. We went on splits and I got to spend a night with my past companion in the CCM which was absolutely amazing.
3. I woke up on New Years Eve to a bunch of fireworks. They were seriously going off like crazy.
4. I found a maggot in my soup. Yummy!
5. Today Elder Salazar and I went to a supermarket and we bought some meat for hamburgers and we fried them up for lunch. They were super delicious. I can´t believe all of the stuff I can make out here.

In Second Peter (I'm not sure which chapter or verse exactly) it says that if someone is taken from the world and comes to know Christ but eventually goes back to what they were doing before, it would have been better for them to have never known Christ. Ever since I have read this scripture, I made a commitment that I am never going to baptize someone who I don´t think is absolutely ready to be baptized because I don´t want to pretty much condemn them to an awful state of unhappiness. 
 
Well we have an investigator who we have been teaching ever since I came into the field. Her name is Rosa and she is pretty receptive to the gospel. She even marks in her Book of Mormon but I have been skeptical about baptizing her because she has pretty much looked the same ever since I met her. Now for those who aren't members of the church you might be confused about what I am talking about. When someone truly has repented and wants to be baptized there is a change of heart or sometimes a change of countenance. You can tell in the eyes of people that they have truly changed. Well Rosa hadn´t had this change yet. 
 
Before we went on splits, Elder Salazar and I kinda talked about this. He said that he knew she was ready. I on the Other hand thought that she was missing something. But that night Elder Salazar was going to interview her to be baptized so we were going to see if she was ready. Well after the splits were over and I was with Elder Salazar again he told me that they interviewed her. Apparently she has done some things that I will not mention but now she needs to be interviewed by Presidente Boswell. But as Rosa was telling what she had done she was crying. Elder Salazar told me that he was surprised about what she had done and was surprised that I thought there was something missing. During that day we went and visited Rosa and let me tell you she changed a lot. She was just shining! She was Happy and her eyes shone so much. I can tell you that I am super excited to baptize her this Saturday. I know that she is ready to make this covenant with God. 
 
I know that this gospel is true and I know that it can make people want to change their lives. Because God loves us and wants us to return to him again he sent us this gospel and Jesus Christ to atone for our sins. I love you all and Love hearing from you every week.
 
Keep Smiling,
Elder Garbett
 Splits with Elder Olivera

Crab and squid dinner. Yum!