Saturday, January 13, 2018

official operation secretary in the house

 November 4, 2017

Well I think this week just like established that I am the new Operations secretary,

1. Well we thought this last Sunday that we were going to have a smooth week where we would have tons of meetings but where we would get everything done and ready for the next transfer. Well turns out that president went full sparatic on Monday and decided to change all of the meetings around to different days during the same week. So the week went by super fast and super stressful. Like it was good and everything except for the part that you forget it was Halloween up until the little kids start knocking on the office door saying "trick or treat!" and then you send them off with little pass along cards because you just ran out of chica morada candy in the office. 

2. Like I said we had tons of meetings but I think that the main one that we had was the leadership counsel. Right there I got to show my stuff as an operation secretary. We have recently been having some problems with contacting referrals that we receive as a mission and so I had to get up and give a training about what was going on and then conduct like a seminar kinda thing to get ideas from all of the leaders in the mission on how we can fix the problem. It went so good that my training for 15 minutes turned out to be 45 minutes. 

Well it actually turned out that the office had interviews with president this transfer and mine was pretty interesting. I don´t know how he did it but for some reason when I was telling him about my past companions he found something that I needed to work on and it was humility. He began to tell me about it and he gave me a talk from Ezra Taft Benson that is titled Beware of Pride. It was super interesting to me because I usually always have humility on my mind and try to improve. But this talk just took it to another level. One thing that stood out to me the most was that when we are prideful we "pit our will against god´s.... Our will in competition to God´s will allows desires, appetites, and passions to go unbridled." It made me think a lot about that, really if I want to be humble I need to continue doing the will of the lord and to not go against or think against his counsel. 

miss you all tons,
Elder Garbett

**Mom note:
Rowan does not have a camera currently, but we discovered that it truly is a small world because I received a text from my dear friend, Marjorie, letting me know that a senior couple serving from their ward (Bro. and Sis. Henry) ran into Rowan. I guess they are in the same ward in Peru. So they took a picture and sent it to Marjorie, who sent it to me. I am grateful to see his happy smiling face and the Henry's too