Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Una semana tranquilo

February 24, 2018

Buenas Días a todos!

Well this week was a pretty chill week. we didn't have anything go on (except my birthday) so everything went pretty smoothy here in the office:

1. So this week my companion and I had to go to the airport 3 times to take missionaries home. first from 8-12:30 (at night) on the 20th. then we had to get up at 5:30 to take another one down and then that night we went at 8 and didn't finish it all off until about 12. So let´s just say that I lived every single second of my birthday that day. 😁

2. So as you can tell my birthday was probably the most busy of this entire week. So we decided to go down to rodizio the next day for lunch and my companions told the waiter that yesterday was my birthday and so they asked me for some kind of identification and after we ate and everything they came up with a giant batman hat (they said it was superman) and sang to me calling me Esteven (exactly like that). Super awkward. 

Recently we have been trying to do everything that we can to at least have one companionship out proselyting in our area everyday. And so far the way we have done this has been working. Our lovely district leader (Elder Beach) pretty much split up his responsibilities between us to start making us more responsible about preaching. The assignment he gave me was to be in charge of all of the investigators that we are teaching but especially everyone with a baptismal date. So that apparently meant that I should go to almost every lesson that we have with an investigator so that I could get to know them. So this week I went to a lot of lesson. 

One of them in particular that I liked the most was Gabriella, a friend of the Amatos. She had a date for today but because of some stuff we found out in that lesson we pushed back the date to next week. But It was one of those lesson where you just focus on all of the investigators´ needs and just try to help to fix everything. 

Gabby is someone really special. She is from Brazil and some time ago she had something happen to where she was awake but she wasn't there. It was like her mind just completely disconnected from her and she just sat there staring off into space. And she was like that for 5 years. After that happened she pretty much had to learn everything again, including how to speak. In her first class of gospel principles we talked about the plan of salvation and for some reason she knew everything about it, which was super weird because the Elders or president and Hermana Amato have not even spoken about that before. After that Hermana Amato spoke to her about it and She found out that story. What President and Hermana Amato believe is that during those 5 years Gabby was seeing and learning these things. She was in a state kinda like King Lamoni when he fell as if he were dead after hearing the words of Ammon. 

But in that lesson Gabriella kept telling us that she knew that this church is the right path and that she wants to do it. But she kept telling us something like she wasn't exactly sure. But with the help of Hermana Amato we found out that it was some family trouble that made her scared to follow through with baptism. So we were able to leave her a commitment to talk to her family about it and to tell us in out next lesson (Sunday). But man, That lesson made me realize that this is really why I love being here. To help these people come closer to Christ because in him we can find joy. 

Miss you tons,
Elder Garbett